sobota 18. júna 2011

The journey to Bree

Lying in a bed in a dark room all alone is probably a good time to start writing a diary. I hope it will make me feel less lonely. Just gonna light up two more candles and I’ve got to write it all down...

So... today was the day! I have finally left Shire for good. All these months of preparing, reconsidering, then deciding again, having doubts about mommy and brother Linko (though he’s now probably gone too), fighting the doubts, cheering myself up, talking to strangers about „how’s it going to be“ in the far foreign land... it is now all over. I am here.
I have left Frogmorton with a caravan of merchants from Michel Delving. They made a short stop at Budgeford (where I joined them), then a little longer stop at Stock and then it was a looooong and uninterrupted journey to the land of Bree. I expected it to take less time... but the travel was difficult because of all this fear I had. What will I do when we arrive? I don’t know anyone in Bree. I don’t have any relatives there and with the little money I had... I fought these thoughts the whole time. The merchants were quite cheerful, always singing and looking forward to the „Prancing Pony“ inn (don’t know why), but when I asked them whether I could stay with them at the inn, they said „if you can afford it...“. So much for not worrying. I also tried to sleep and I did for a short while... there was nothing to look at – just trees, more trees and even some other trees along the way. And then when I least expected it, the trees changed to fields and there were first signs of dwellings down the road.
Soon I could see a great wall around a big town – BREE! The joy I felt, the excitement... it was as if a new life awaited me. A life of my own, a life away from a tiny village among frogs and swamps. I would get to see tall peoples and adventurers, hear great stories and witness glorious deeds all by myself. How could this not be worth all the troubles and doubts? And even a little fear? In that moment as we passed through the gate of Bree, everything was worth it. And everything bad was suddenly forgotten.
I even made a little sketch of myself standing there under the west gate of my dreamed-of place.




The merchants headed for the market deep within the winding streets of an unknown town... so naturally, I did not follow them. I found myself standing on a wiiiiide wide stony street with nothing but my excitement and a backpack full of clothes and a little food. It was such a strange sensation. I’ve been to other towns before, even big towns like Michel Delving, but this.... this was something completely different. There were travellers and horses and tall peoples everywhere! I had to step away from the street a bit to make room for all the people in their heavy boots and deep laughter. I didn’t know where to go – no one cared about a small hobbit lass pressing against the mailbox in the corner. But the sun was already setting and my worries quickly returned. Where will I go? Will I end up sleeping on the street in a foreign town?

Oh... the candles went out. I guess I’ll write more tomorrow. I’m too tired anyway...   

0 komentárov:

Zverejnenie komentára