nedeľa 19. júna 2011

... and the journey to Combe

Where was I... oh yes! And so as I was standing there on the edge of the street, my heart pounding with fear and unease, I looked around and saw many ways I could follow. There were two streets leading east, one west and of course the widest street that went on and on.... heading north. I've decided north will be my first choice. I'll just go and see where I end up. There was still a little light left in the sky and I was going very slowly... looking at everything. There was a small woman praising her wares on a steep cold stair, a strong tall man in a red tunic, apparently a guard, because he held on to a REALLY long sword, frowning on strangers in black hoods and... there were two big men on even bigger horses in beautiful ceremonial saddles right in front of me, walking very slowly and talking to each other in common speech. 
"I'm telling you Margar, we'll have to resolve the issue with Gilkhas as soon as possible, it cannot go on like this any longer...."
I was beginning to be really interested in this important tall-people-stuff when they (unfortunately) noticed me. 
"Hello little lady, can we help you?" asked the other man. He looked overwhelmingly noble, I've never seen such a man before! He was broad-shouldered and had a warm, calm sparkles in his eyes. I made a step back in pure surprise, I was really caught off guard there! Never thought they'll notice me or talk to me!



"I...uh... well, maybe you *can* help." I began nervously. They both just smiled and encouraged me to continue. I scratched the back of my head and tried my best not to sound too needy.
"You see, I've just arrived to Bree from Shire, I don't know anyone here and the evening is coming... perhaps you can show me a nice, cheap inn to spend the night at?"   
They looked at each other and the taller man began with doubts in his voice:
"Well, there is the Prancing Pony Inn... but it is not exactly cheap." 
"Indeed. If you plan to stay for longer, you'd better head to one of the nearby villages. Staddle or even Combe." said the shorter man. 
"Yes, that would be most wise. I hear Combe has enough rooms for everyone these days - and for a good price!" said the taller man cheerfully.
"Really?" I was disappointed. I didn't want to go anywhere! I was finally here and wanted to find a place to stay in Bree. 
"Don't worry, it is not far. Actually closer than you might think! And it will save you a fortune in the long run." said the tall man reassuringly. 
"But... how will I get there? I don't even-" 
"Do not concern yourself with that, here! This is Bill Rosewood, the stable master. Just tell him where you want to go and let him handle the rest."
"Aye, you'll be in Combe before the sun sets and for just a few coppers." smiled at me the tall man. 

"Th-thank you. I will do as you've advised me." I wanted to return the smile, but I was too confused. Should I really do it? But I've just promised I would! 
"Have a pleasant stay in Bree little one. And should you ever need further assistance, ask for Margar or Cynewerd of the Riddermark! If we are still in the town, we will help you." 
I bowed my head in gratitude and tried to remember their names. "Margar and Cynewerd, Margar and Cynewerd...." I repeated to myself. But before I could say goodbye, they were on their way again, as if none of this ever happened. Just a little delay in the lives of noble men from far away... 

It felt strange to do what I've been told to do, because it changed my plans entirely... yet I did it. I asked the stable master for a ride to Combe, he held out his hand saying: 
"One silver please!" and I was on my way to... Combe. The village I didn't know even existed a few moments ago. Will this work? Am I doing the right thing? Everything will turn out well.... everything will be alright, I said to myself several times. And... really. Before the sun has set, I was standing in the centre of Combe, the village that became my home.   

0 komentárov:

Zverejnenie komentára